Tuesday, August 11, 2009

One millimeter

Quick doctor update...I had my 6 week appointment with Dr. Noble last week. He seemed pleased that I gradually regained more feeling and strength in my leg and foot. I expressed my disappointment in the slow progress to which he explained a nerve will only heal at the pace of one MILLIMETER per day. Yikes. He further advised a nerve injury will continue to heal at that pace for up to 18 months (after which, there is little hope of further healing). Taking the "glass half full" outlook, two positive items come to mind: (1) look at the progress I've made in the first six weeks - even at a mere millimeter per day, another few months should work wonders; (2) I'm thankful for my height - a shorter leg translates to a shorter nerve, meaning there's a limit to the "millimeters" of nerve running down my leg. Dr. Noble suggested taking a Vitamin B pill each day. Some studies show that can accelerate the healing, although he made no promises. He said it's worth a try...can't hurt! He was, however, concerned that my foot is swelling so much each day (any time that I'm not horizontal). He thinks it is more of a circulation issue, so I'm wearing some sexy knee-high diabetic/circulation socks these days. I haven't taken a pain pill, nor used the crutches, in over a week!!! WoooooHooooo!

No comments: