Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Light at the End of the Tunnel...

I can see it...finally...it might be only a flicker at this point, but there is a light at the end of this long, dark tunnel. I was initially undecided on the title for this blog posting and was toying with "When it rains, it pours", but I opted for a more positive theme. I realize an update to the blogsite is long overdue, so I'll do my best to recap the events of the past two weeks.

Mike's mom was kind enough to take me to my neurosurgeon appointment on Monday, June 15th. The intent of the visit was to discuss the results of the epidural steroid injection (i.e. little pain relief and minimal improvement) and to determine next steps. As had been the case with the past 3.5 weeks of appointments with this neurosurgeon, he was extremely indecisive. So, the following day, I had an appointment with a different neurosurgeon to seek a second opinion. His approach was as different as night-and-day. He took the time to thoroughly examine me and to review the results of the MRI by specifically pointing out the problem area. His message was absolutely clear - I needed surgery. He expressed his concern with the increased weakness, numbness and pain in my left foot and the risk of permanent nerve damage which could potentially lead to a 'drop foot'. Both Mike and I felt good about this doctor and my gut told me that a change was in order. He checked his schedule and as a result of a recent cancellation, he had an open operating room available for me the very next morning. For those who know me well, this was great news as I had limited time to worry, stress and develop a massive cold sore. The morning of surgery was a bit chaotic because there was no time for a pre-operative check-up the day before, so I'm pretty sure at least 4 nurses and 2 doctors listened to my heart and lungs to confirm they were healthy and clear. One of the six of them were supposed to draw blood for lab testing, but each one of them assumed the other completed that task and after the drama of a University of Nebraska nurse in her first month of schooling trying to kill me as she attempted her first IV insertion, I was the last person in the room who was going to remind them of the forgotten blood draw. Thank goodness Mike was there to provide some much needed comic relief. Mike's mom rounded out my support system for the day. I was taken into surgery at 9:30 and woke up in recovery at 11:25. After a dose of morphine to make me comfortable, I got back to my regular room around noon. After we accomplished drinking a glass of water, a trip to the bathroom and a few steps down the hallway (without the walker, mind you), I was cleared for release around 3:00. My at-home nurses (Mike and his mom) took great care of me the next few days. We all become experts at the 'log roll' to get me on and off the couch for bathroom breaks. As wonderful as it is to have pain relief in the hip/butt, the left foot continues to cause me issues with numbness, pressure and pain. The doctor reassures me this is to be expected. Although the "pinch" was removed, there is still swelling in that area (as a result of surgery) and the nerve itself will take some time to heal. Progress is slow, but sure. However, it should be noted that on Sunday afternoon, I put my contacts in, applied a little make-up and wore something other than sweatpants and a t-shirt for the first time in more than a month! My parents arrived on Sunday (to help us out for a few days) and we had a wonderful evening celebrating Father's Day with my parents, Mike's parents and the Fosters.

I should better explain my discarded title of "When it rains, it pours".
Lefler Dilemma #2:
The week before my surgery, Mike saw his doctor for an abscess on his cheek that had been bothering him for a few weeks. The doctor agreed it was terribly infected and needed to be immediately lansed. So, Mike experienced a small incision of his own and had the wound packed with medicated gause for 4 continuous days (even had to go to the lab on Saturday and Sunday). Three days after that, he was tasked with having to do the gause packing on his own. Thankfully, it is healing very well (and quickly) and the scar should be minimal. (My incision scar beats his, but at least mine is only noticable during bikini season...oh, that's right...I don't wear a bikini...so who's kidding who...mine ain't so bad.)
Lefler Dilemma #3:
Sunday morning, Mike woke up and came to check on me sleeping on the couch. We both heard a burst of water and assumed it had to be coming from the washing machine or dishwasher. To our dismay, it was, unfortunately, coming from the basement. Sometime during the night, the PVC piping attached to our sump pump busted - sending gallons of groundwater flooding into our storage and family rooms (we got a little over an inch of rain overnight). I was, of course, no help with the task of removing things from the affected area. When Mike rearranged several totes and furniture items, I quickly hit the phone to dispatch ServiceMaster to the rescue. Thankfully, they arrived within a few hours. They ripped up the carpet pad, but were confident the carpeting could be salvaged with a few days of drying. Good news is the last fan was removed today and the carpet should be re-layed in the next week or so. Who was the wise guy who picked the high-deductible homeowner's insurance policy? I guess if we're going to meet medical deductibles this year, we might as well go for the double play and meet the homeowner's deductible as well!

I can't close without expressing heartfelt gratitude to our parents for the help and support through the past few weeks. Also, I have simply been touched beyond words with all of the cards, flowers, food, gifts, emails and calls of concern. I will tell you this...pain pills are great, but the greatest source of healing is all of the well wishes I have received. They truly keep me going each day - THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!

No comments: